Helpful resources to guide you
The Center offers many training programs, resources and ways to help nonprofits strengthen capacity and foster sustainability. If your nonprofit is struggling, we encourage you to access these options. Unfortunately, the Center does not provide direct technical assistance involved in going Out of Business.
If your nonprofit is facing irrevocable Out of Business*, here are several resources that you can use to assist your nonprofit closing its operation:
- IRS (Facts about Terminating or Merging Your Exempt Organization)
- IRS (Termination of an Exempt Organization)
- IRS (Canceling an EIN – Closing Your Account)
- IRS (Closing a Business Checklist)
- National Council of Nonprofits
*Please note, most tax-exempt organizations that end their operations, either through shutting down, transferring their assets or merging with another tax-exempt organization, must inform the IRS about the details of the action.