Recognize public officials who champion the work of nonprofits
The Phyllis Campbell Newsome Public Policy Leadership Award was named in honor of the Center for Nonprofit Advancement’s former director of advocacy and community relations after her untimely passing in 2003. The award was created to highlight the work of elected and non-elected officials who have gone above and beyond in partnership with the nonprofit sector to ensure more vibrant communities.
Each year, the Center honors four public officials with this award. One official is recognized from each of the jurisdictions the Center supports including, the District of Columbia, Northern Virginia, and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.
The votes are in and counted! Here are your 2018 winners:
Najla Husseini, Deputy Chief, School Partnerships, DC Public Schools
Helen McIlvaine, Director, Alexandria Office on Housing
Isiah “Ike” Leggett, County Executive
Prince George’s County:
Derrick Leon Davis, County Council Member, District 6
About the Phyllis Campbell Newsome Public Policy Leadership Award
After the deadline, nominations are tallied and the winners of each jurisdiction are notified. They receive their award and recognition at the Center’s Annual Celebration.
Meet the winners of the past two years:
District of Columbia
- The Honorable Brandon Todd, Councilmember, Ward 4, District of Columbia (2017)
- The Honorable Elissa Silverman, Council of the District of Columbia (2016)
Montgomery County, Maryland
- The Honorable Cheryl Kagan, State Senator, Montgomery County, Maryland (2017)
- Nancy Navarro, Councilmember, Montgomery County Council, Maryland (2016)
Prince George's County, Maryland
- PFC LoQune Brown, Police Department, Prince George's County, Maryland (2017)
- Lupi Quinteros-Grady, Board of Education, District 2 Member, Prince George's County, Maryland (2016)
- Martin Nohe, Coles District Supervisor, Prince William County, Board of Supervisors, Virginia (2017)
- Patricia J. Roher, Long Term Care Program Manager, Fairfax County Health Department, Virginia (2016)