Executive Transition and Succession Planning
On average about one in ten executive director jobs turns over each year. This rate is expected to sharply increase as the Baby Boom Generation moves toward retirement age.
To respond to the growing need, not only in the increasing volume of transitions but in the mounting challenge that boards face in filling executive leadership positions, the Center for Nonprofit Advancement offers its Executive Transition Services program.
The Center's program allows Washington-area nonprofit organizations to prepare for an executive leadership change. This includes services for executive directors thinking about their future “next steps” (even if they are years away), or for a board facing an imminent change.
- Transition assessment and planning advice provided by experienced transition consultants who work directly with nonprofit leaders to map out transition and executive search plans.
- Referrals to screened and trained interim executive directors who are available to nonprofits that need short-term, bridge leadership.
- Referrals to professionals experienced in executive search and selection as well as post-hire executive launch and support.
- With partnering organizations, free 90-minute clinics on Executive Transition, held throughout the year at various locations. Visit our workshop listings for more information.
- Services are available on a sliding-scale fee basis.
The Center also makes availble to member organizations a free Emergency Succession Plan Template.